Understanding the Steps to Perform a Database Attach Upgrade
The high-level steps involved with a database attach upgrade are as follows:
- Create a new SharePoint 2010 farm to best practices and validate all functionality in the farm. Test functionality with a pilot on sample data and prepare users for the transition.
- Back up the original SharePoint 2007 databases.
- Set the SharePoint 2007 databases to read-only mode if the migration is expected to take a longer period of time.
- Restore a copy of the SharePoint 2007 content databases to the SQL Server for SharePoint 2010. Attach the databases to SQL Server.
- From the Manage Content Databases area of the SharePoint Central Admin tool on the SharePoint 2007 server, as shown in Figure 5.7, select ...