AWS Basics for VMware Administrators
Everything you need to know to get started
Cloud computing—and AWS specifically—is transforming IT. Historically, VMware has owned the data center, but now the data center has been moved to the public cloud, a place where AWS excels. Many companies are skipping on-premises infrastructure altogether in favor of AWS, due to its elasticity and low up-front cost.
If you haven't yet made the jump to AWS, you need to get up to speed quickly. Through hands-on demonstrations and exercises, Vincent Castro walks you through everything you need to know to get started right away, including AWS terminology and basic concepts, overviews of the most popular AWS services and infrastructure components, how to replicate common tasks performed with VMware in AWS, and how to migrate your systems and workloads from VMware to AWS. You'll leave ready to deploy and manage production workloads in AWS in your company.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, online course, you’ll understand:
- Basic AWS terminology and concepts
- The fundamentals of AWS core services, including VPC, EC2, S3, IAM, and RDS
- The differences and similarities between VMware and AWS
And you’ll be able to:
- Migrate systems and workloads from VMware to AWS (using AWS Connector for VMware)
- Create new EC2 instances in AWS
This training course is for you because...
- You're a VMware administrator who needs to get up to speed on AWS so that you can help your company make the transition to a public or hybrid cloud.
- You're a system administrator or engineer with some virtualization experience who wants to better understand the benefits AWS offers.
- 1–2 years experience with VMware or another hypervisor
- A basic understanding of computer networking
Required materials and setup:
- An AWS account (Free tier is fine.)
About your instructor
I have 15+ years of industry experience and have served as the VMware Subject Matter Expert (SME) at Kabam, Palantir Technologies and Uber Technologies. I currently hold four relevant certifications: VMware VCP-DCV 6 and AWS Certified: Solutions Architect, Developer, and SysOps Administrator.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
What is AWS? (15 minutes)
- What is AWS?
- What is Cloud computing?
- Why AWS? Why now?
- VMware in the cloud (VMware Cloud on AWS)
- Hybrid cloud
- Hybrid cloud use cases and examples
- Cloud benefits and risks
Virtual Private Cloud (45 minutes)
- What is an AWS Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)?
- AWS Regions and Availability Zones
- VPC vs VMware vSphere VDC (Virtual Data Center)
- VPC Components
- Hands-on exercise: Create a new VPC (any region) with two new subnets in different AZs.
Break (10 minutes)
EC2 (40 minutes)
- What is Amazon EC2?
- AWS Instance vs VMware VM
- Instance types (families)
- AWS AMI vs VMware Template
- Migrating VMware VMs to AWS (AWS Connector for vCenter)
- On-demand and Reserved Instances (RIs)
- EC2 Storage options: EBS and Instance Store
- AWS Marketplace
- Hands-on exercise: Create two EC2 instances in the same region but in different AZs. Ping the new instances from your computer.
- EC2 DEMO
- Discussion/check-in ?
Storage (20 minutes)
- Instance store
- Elastic Block Storage (EBS)
- EBS vs VMware VMDK
- EBS snapshots vs VMware snapshots
- Elastic File System (EFS)
- AWS Storage Gateway
Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) (15 minutes)
- What is RDS?
- SQL Server
- Amazon Aurora
- RDS DEMO (Microsoft SQL Server)
Break (10 minutes)
Security (15 minutes)
- Password policies
- Multi Factor Authentication (MFA)
- Key Pairs
- Password Policies, Groups, Users DEMO
Everything else/what now? (10 minutes)
- Monitoring: AWS CloudWatch vs vRealize Operations
- IAM: Users, Roles, Policies
- AWS CloudFormation
- Additional resources