Analytics for your Product Team
Using metrics and data to optimize products
Data is everywhere, but how can product managers put it to work to improve their market reach and product use? To do this, you need to know what metrics are available, what analytics tools are the most effective, and why some metrics are more beneficial than others. Once you understand how to use data and analytics, you can determine the best ways to optimize and grow your product and reach.
In this three-hour training workshop, you’ll learn how to measure each stage of your product's funnel—from initial discovery to onboarding to repeated use. Through hands-on exercises and discussions, you’ll learn how to use tools like Google Analytics to measure specific ways users interact with your product and Google Search Console to understand what your users are thinking and how they find your product. This course will help you avoid common pitfalls when analyzing your product funnel by helping you make sense of your data so it doesn’t become overwhelming or unhelpful. You’ll find out which metrics matter the most and you’ll learn how to uncover powerful insights to refine and optimize your product and reach.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, online course, you’ll understand:
- What the product funnel is
- How to measure each stage of the product funnel
- The type of metrics used and tools and techniques for each
And you’ll be able to:
- Use Google Analytics event tracking to track key interactions
- Use Google Search Console to locate keywords driving interest and intent
- Create a product funnel for the users of your product
This training course is for you because...
- You’re a product manager who has launched a product and now want to understand how to identify, measure, and optimize your product’s funnel.
- You’re a product manager seeking new ideas to improve your products and achieve success.
- You’re a product manager interested in learning how to use tools like Google Analytics, Google Search Console, and more to measure and report on product effectiveness.
- Participants should have an established digital product, either a website, web app, or mobile app
- Curiosity about performance metrics and how to analyze your product’s users
- Familiar with an analytics tool, like Google Analytics, Piwik, Open Web Analytics, Adobe Analytics, or similar. Ideally, it should be installed within your product
Google Analytics for Beginners (video)
Using Google Search Console (help article)
- If possible, set up and install Google Analytics, or a similar analytics tool, for your product.
Recommended follow up:
Product Leadership (book)
About your instructor
Matthew Edgar is a web consultant at Elementive (www.elementive.com). Since 2001, Matthew has helped hundreds of businesses and nonprofits grow through a process of analyzing and improving their website and online presence. He is the author of Elements of a Successful Website, published in 2017. Matthew regularly speaks at conferences and teaches workshops about analytics and technical marketing subjects. You can connect on Twitter @MatthewEdgarCO or on his blog at MatthewEdgar.net.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Introduction: Metrics and data to optimize products (5 minutes)
Introducing the product funnel (30 minutes)
- Lecture: Stages of the product funnel and key actions at each stage
- Funnel example review, key actions, and measurement; funnel demonstration
- Activity & discussion: Map out actions at funnel stages; share and discuss results
How to measure the funnel (25 minutes)
- Lecture: Review of metrics—advantages and pitfalls
- Activity & discussion
Break (10 minutes)
Top of the funnel—Understanding who your users are (45 minutes)
- Lecture: The two key metrics that provide the most meaningful way to understand who users are; review Google Search Console, Google Analytics, keyword tools, and advanced search queries
- Activity & discussion: Use one of the techniques to review your own product and share thoughts/findings in chat
Break (10 minutes)
Bottom of funnel—Understanding what your users do (45 minutes)
- Lecture and demonstration: Review different types of metrics that can help you understand how to keep users engaged with your product over the long term; how to use Event Tracking in Google Analytics
- Activity and discussion: Begin to map out these interactions for your product; create event tracking scripts; comments and discussion in chat
Wrap up and questions (10 minutes)