Chapter 3. Securing Your System
In this chapter, we will cover the following topics:
- Setting up a Linux firewall
- Allowing access to a service through the firewall
- Verifying your firewall by port scanning
- Turning off unnecessary services
- Verifying the strength of passwords
- Disabling root login over SSH
- Restricting Webmin access to a specific IP
- Connecting to Webmin securely over an SSH tunnel
- Closing inactive Webmin sessions automatically
Some people say that the only secure machine is one that is switched off. This may be true, but that machine is not very useful. If you want to make your server more functional, you'll have to turn it on and most likely expose it to the curious eyes of the Internet.
Online computer security is a topic large enough ...