Securing host management access
When it comes to managing ESXi hosts, there are a few interfaces available to perform management tasks:
- Common Information Model (CIM), which is used for vCenter Server access.
- Direct Console User Interface (DCUI), which is also known as the ESXi console.
- Tech Support Mode (TSM)
- Local—console access to the ESXi command line.
- Remote—SSH access to the ESXi command line.
- vSphere Application Programming Interface (API) such as vSphere Client, PowerCLI, vCLI, and so on.
Remote TSM has been covered in the Accessing hosts via SSH recipe in this chapter. Local TSM and DCUI are console options available if you have physical access to the host or remote console access such as iDRAC.
All interfaces except vSphere API can be managed ...