• Why it is important to have alternatives
• What to do when they mention their BATNA
• How to reduce the negative power of their BATNA
• How to best use our BATNA
• Which is better: a threat or a warning?
• How to use time as an alternative
• How to use the BATNA as a win-win tool
This chapter explores a very important, and yet dangerous, element: alternatives. Misunderstood or mishandled, alternatives invite win-lose moves and can undo much of our value negotiation effort. However, they are also an important part of a value negotiator’s toolkit, just one that comes with a tag: “Handle with care!”
Why do we have to handle alternatives with care? Because, maybe more than any other negotiation element alone, ...