• Why we should care if our goal is relative or absolute
• How complexity impacts a negotiation
• What the different body parts of the negotiation anatomy are (Seven Elements framework)
• How to best set our goal to get what we want
Jean Pierre (JP) long wanted to vacation in Cancun, Mexico, to experience the Mayan culture and pyramids. On his second day there, after visiting some impressive ruins, he came across a few shops. They were clearly tourist traps, but JP spotted in one of them a fascinating Mayan artifact. Since he always fancied himself as a good negotiator, he decided to go for it. He entered the store and with his beginner’s Spanish asked:
• “How much does this cost?” pointing to the artifact. ...