(Frontispiece) Saint Barbara, 15th-Century German or French polychromed walnut sculpture. (50″H × 23″W × 13″D) 127.0 cm × 58.4 cm × 33.0 cm. The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond. The Williams Fund, 1968.
1. Impressed tablet from Godin Tepe, Iran. West Asian Department, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto.
2. Facsimile of the cuneiform impression on a clay tablet, after Hansard.
3. The Pyramids at Giza, from The Iconographie Encyclopaedia of Science, Literature, and Art by Johann Georg Heck, 1851.
4. Egyptian Old Kingdom False Door Stele, limestone. The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond. Museum Purchase: The Williams Fund.
5. Cuneiform tablet. Sumero-Akkadian. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Acquired by exchange with J. Pierpont Morgan Library, 1911.
6. Photograph of Stonehenge; courtesy of the British Tourist Authority.
7. Egyptian Polychromed Wood Sculpture, XVIII–XIX Dynasty. Ushabti. The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond. Museum Purchase: The Williams Fund, 1955.
8. The Book of the Dead of Tuthmosis III. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Gift of Horace L. Meyer.
10. Phoenician inscription. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. The Cesnola Collection. Purchased by subscription, 1874–76.
12. Photograph of the Parthenon; courtesy of the Greek National Tourist Office.
13. Photograph of Greek record of sale; Agora Excavations, American School of Classical Studies, Athens.
15. Photograph of a wall in Pompeii, by James Mosley.
17. Photographer ...