On completion of this chapter a student should be able to:
• Use both the American and SI units when solving mass transfer problems.
• Explain the basics of Fick’s law and similarity to other rate-transfer processes
• Be able to predict binary diffusion coefficients for both gases and liquids.
• Explain the physical significance of a mass transfer coefficient
• Solve simple problems involving molecular diffusion, convection and chemical reaction
1. Introduction. In Chapter 1 we noted that the various separation processes have certain basic principles which can be classified ...