Based in the industrial town of Lüdenscheid in western Germany, ERCO has remained a family-run business dedicated to the creation of light ever since its beginnings in 1934. The company was founded by Arnold Reininghaus, Paul Buschaus and Karl Reeber, and was entered into the Commercial Register on 1 July of that year as Reininghaus & Co. The German pronunciation of ‘R. Co.’ provided its self-styled acronym.
ERCO emerged into a climate of severe economic depression and high unemployment in a newly formed Nazi Germany. Five years later, war broke out and the manufacturers of industrial lighting focused instead, as many German businesses did at that time, on the war effort. The factory itself was destroyed in an air raid shortly ...