Beyond Pentium—More Advanced Processors
IN THIS CHAPTER, YOU WILL LEARN
- The Microarchitecture of IA processors that came after Pentium.
- Processors with P6 microarchitecture.
- How MMX and SSE instructions work.
- Features of the Netburst microarchitecture.
- New features added in Nehalem.
- IA advancements like HT, VT and Turbo Boost.
- What is meant by the term ‘nanometer technology.
The x86 ISA is implemented by the world’s leading semiconductor company Intel as well as a few other small manufacturers. AMD is the most prominent name in the list of Intel’s competitors. In the following sections, the discussion of the evolution of the x86 architecture will be based on the Intel series of processors. In a later chapter, we will digress briefly ...