Microarchitectural Techniques of Advanced Processors
IN THIS CHAPTER, YOU WILL LEARN
- How to define performance.
- The meaning of IPC and techniques to get a higher IPC.
- Hazards that occur in a scalar pipeline and solutions for them.
- Different stages of a superscalar pipeline.
- Hazards that plague a superscalar pipeline.
- Dynamic scheduling of instructions in super scalar architectures.
- Concepts of branch prediction and register renaming.
- Pentium Pro microarchitecture.
- The VLIW concept.
Computers have been around for quite sometime now. Whenever we plan to buy a new computer, the first aspect that we take into consideration is ‘performance’. We insist that the new product should have a higher level of performance than the one we possess now. ...