After reading this chapter, you will:
1. Understand the difference between formative and summative evaluation and the strengths and limitations of each
2. Understand the difference between analytic and empirical methods
3. Understand the difference between rigorous and rapid methods
4. Know the strengths and weaknesses of various data collection techniques, such as critical incident identification, thinking aloud, and questionnaires
5. Distinguish evaluation techniques oriented toward usability and emotional impact
6. Understand the concept of the evaluator effect and its impact on evaluation results
We begin each process chapter with a “you are here” picture ...