Having your authority or ability questioned
None of us likes to have our authority or our ability challenged. Understanding the motivation for any such challenge will give you a framework for your response. Challenges such as these cannot go unanswered.
- Is it possible that there is a legitimate reason for this challenge?
- Who is the person making the challenge? Is it a colleague, a team member or a superior? Is it someone outside the organisation?
- Is the challenger someone you respect? Are they motivated by self-interest or do they believe the challenge is necessary if the team is to meet its objectives?
- Is this a particularly difficult time for the team or for the organisation? Are emotions running high?
- How have you responded ...