Healthy Dying and Good Grieving
All interest in disease and death is only another expression of interest in life.
PROPOSITIONS ABOUT DYING AND GRIEVING
1. Death is a creation of human self-consciousness, not a fact of life.
2. Unless we allow them to, people do not “pass away.”
3. There are no “stages of grieving and dying.”
4. There is no “other side” to which we “cross over.”
5. “Nearer-to-life” experiences are more important than “neardeath” experiences.
A QUESTION FOR EINSTEIN
In the summer of 1950, a child died. The father wrote that his son’s death had shattered “the very structure of [his] existence” and that his life had “become an almost meaningless void.” In a desperate attempt to find meaning in the cruel finality ...