Shortly after World War I, Ford and GM created the large modern corporation, with its financial and statistical controls, mass production, and assembly lines. In the 1980s, Toyota stood out for combining quality with continuous refinement. Today, Google is reinventing business yet again-the way we work, how organizations are controlled, and how employees are managed.
Management consultant Bernard Girard has been analyzing Google since its founding in 1998, and now in The Google Way, he explores Google's innovations in depth-many of which are far removed from the best practices taught at the top business schools.
As you read, you'll see how much of Google's success is due to its focus on users and automation. You'll also learn how eCommerce has profoundly changed the relationship between businesses and their customers, for the first time giving customers an important role to play in a major corporation's growth. Finally, Girard speculates about the limits of Google's business model and discusses the challenges it will face as it continues to grow.
Google's culture is one of innovation. Why not make that spirit of innovation your own?
Table of Contents
The Google Way
- Introduction: A Management Breakthrough
I. An Unorthodox Corporate Saga
- 1. REBELS WITH A CAUSE
- 2. THE GOOGLE ECONOMIC MODEL
II. A Formula 1 Engine
- 3. THREE ICONOCLASTS AT THE TOP
- 4. RECRUITING THE BEST
- 5. THE 20 PERCENT RULE
- 6. COWORKERS ARE THE BEST JUDGES
- 7. AN INNOVATION MACHINE
- 8. LIKE A SWISS ARMY KNIFE
- 9. FOR THE LOVE OF MATH AND MEASUREMENT
- 10. KEEP THE TEAMS SMALL
- 11. COORDINATION THROUGH TECHNOLOGY
- 12. THE SECRET IS IN THE FACTORY
III. Put Users First; the Rest Will Follow
- 13. AUTOMATING SALES AND USER RELATIONSHIPS
- 14. Putting Users in Charge
IV. Challenges and Risks
15. IS GOOGLE'S GROWTH SUSTAINABLE?
- The Growth of Search
- The Online Advertising Market
- New Competitors with Different Economic Models
- Click Fraud and Spam
- Confidence and Privacy Concerns
- Will Copyright Concerns Slow Google's Growth?
- Cultural Globalization and Resistance
- Corporate Data: A Comeback for Microsoft?
- Net Neutrality
- Management: Overcoming Complexity
- 16. CAN GOOGLE EVADE CONFORMITY?
- 17. A Look Ahead
- A. A MODEL FOR ALL MANAGERS?
- 15. IS GOOGLE'S GROWTH SUSTAINABLE?