“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”
—Albert Einstein, in a letter to his son Eduard (February 5, 1930)
After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
• Understand the basic concept of transportation.
• Comprehend the roles of transportation in the national economy and the supply chain.
• Understand the Central Place Theory and its conceptual background.
• Grasp the evolving transportation regulations and regulatory reforms and their impact on transportation practices and supply chain efficiency.
• Understand the rationale behind transportation regulations and deregulations.
• Identify specific carrier management issues.
• Select a right carrier (transportation ...