Ensuring the Health, Safety and Welfare of Employees
Duties of employers to employees
As an employer you have a general responsibility to ensure the health and safety of your employees. This requirement is given legal force through the Health and Safety at Work, etc Act 1974. This requires that you must take all reasonably practicable steps to provide:
- a safe working environment, including safe access to and from your premises;
- a safe system of work;
- safe tools, appliances and equipment;
- protection from hazards;
- any necessary training and instruction to your staff.
In addition, if you employ five or more people you must:
- publish a written health and safety policy (see example below);
- form a safety committee if asked ...