How to complete your Tax Return and work out your tax
This tax guide is being published shortly after HMRC have sent out Tax Returns:
- requiring taxpayers, by law, to make a Return of their taxable income and capital gains for the year from 6 April 2013 to 5 April 2014; and
- enabling them to claim the allowances and tax reliefs to which they are entitled for the same year.
Do I need to complete a Tax Return?
You probably don’t need to complete a Tax Return if:
- your tax affairs are not complicated; and
- you receive income taxed under PAYE.
But you may need to fill one in if:
- your tax affairs are not straightforward; and
- you receive income from several sources.
Who has to complete a Tax Return?
HMRC will want a Tax Return from you each year ...