If you are on a low or modest income you should be able to claim tax credits. These are:
- Child Tax Credit (CTC), which is paid to individuals who are responsible for children. It does not matter whether claimants do, or do not, work; and
- Working Tax Credit (WTC), which is paid to those in work and is targeted at low wage earners and workers who use formal childcare.
Who can claim?
To qualify for tax credits you must be:
- at least 16 years old; and
- physically present in the United Kingdom.
A single joint application must be submitted by
- married couples;
- couples living together as partners; or
- civil partners.
Both tax credits are dependent on the incomes of the claimants.
Child Tax Credit