Step One: Get a Good Idea
Product ideas come from a variety of sources. The best source is the marketplace. The market never stops generating product ideas, because that’s where the problems are—and the best products are the ones that solve problems.
Listen to Your Customers
To get product ideas, listen to your customers. Welcome their complaints; they can point the way to new products. Market research should also periodically seek the answers to questions like these:
• What do customers want to see the product do?
• How do customers use the product?
• How does the product fit into customers’ operations?
• What problems do customers have with the product?
• What would make customers use the product more?
Many customers will only tell you, ...