In Chapter 11, Determining Headroom for Applications, we covered how to determine the headroom or free capacity that was available for your application. In this appendix, we will walk through a larger example of capacity planning for an entire site, but we will follow the process outlined in Chapter 11. The steps to be followed are:
1. Identify the components.
2. Determine the actual and maximum usage rates.
3. Determine the growth rate.
4. Determine seasonality.
5. Compute the amount of headroom gained through projects.
6. State the ideal usage percentage.
7. Perform the calculations.
For an example, let’s consider a typical business-to-business (B2B) Software as a Service (SaaS) product that is becoming ...