Understand its features and limitations, get set up, and enjoy iCloud!
iCloud is a simple idea -- all your data on all your devices, via the cloud -- that becomes complex in the real world, such as when you want to manage your photos via the old My Photo Stream and/or the new iCloud Photo Library, sync your Web logins, or understand how the new iCloud Drive works.
In this best-selling title from Joe Kissell, you'll start by learning what iCloud can do, how it differs from other cloud services, and how to set it up on Macs, iOS devices, the Apple TV, and Windows-based PCs. The book is completely updated for all the changes in OS X 10.10 Yosemite, iOS 8.1, and Apple TV 7.
Joe then explains the key aspects -- and hidden gotchas -- of iCloud's core features including Family Sharing, Apple Store integration, iTunes Match, My Photo Stream, iCloud Photo Sharing, iCloud Photo Library, and more!
You'll be flying high with iCloud as you learn how to use:
- iTunes and App Stores: Turn on automatic downloads so that the music, apps, and ebooks that you buy from Apple can appear automatically on all your devices. Also, re-download deleted items if they are still available.
- My Photo Stream, iCloud Photo Sharing, and iCloud Photo Library: Move your photos around with My Photo Stream and/or iCloud Photo Library, and understand the many differences between these two services. Plus, share photos with iCloud Photo Sharing.
- iCloud Drive: Understand the iCloud Drive folder in Yosemite, get a grip on iCloud Drive peculiarities, and find real-world directions for using iCloud Drive to sync files between your Apple devices. Also find out what's stored in your iCloud Drive.
- Family Sharing: Quickly set up a group to share a calendar, photos, Find My iPhone map, apps and media, and more. Also, take control of what children in the group may purchase.
- Mail: Understand what's on offer with an iCloud email account, and a get a grip on the new Mail Drop feature.
- Calendar, Contacts, and other bits: View and manage calendar and contact data, share calendars, and send invitations to events. Plus, get going with browser bookmarks, iCloud Safari tabs, Safari Reading List, Reminders, and Notes.
- iCloud Keychain: Store and sync login credentials and credit card details within Safari so you can access them later from any of your Apple devices
- iCloud Web site: Use iCloud's Web interface for apps such as Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Find My iPhone.
- Find My...: Look in Find My iPhone/iPad/iPod touch/Mac to locate a device that's gone missing, and keep tabs on friends and family with the Find My Friends iOS app.
- iCloud Backup: Manage your iOS backups in iCloud, and find steps for restoring your backup after a problem!
- Apple TV: Get more out of your Apple TV with iTunes Match, iCloud Photos, and iMovie Theater.
- Back to My Mac: Connect to a far-away Mac over the Internet and use file sharing and screen sharing just as though you were on the same network.
- Two-factor-authentication: Find savvy advice about setting a good password, and discover how easy it is to further secure your account with two-factor authentication.
Compatibility check: For the most part, this book assumes your operating system(s) are recent--namely, OS X 10.10 Yosemite or later, iOS 8.1 or later, Windows 7 or later, and Apple TV software version 7 or later (available only on the third-generation Apple TV). In addition, it assumes that all your iCloud-connected apps (such as iTunes, iPhoto, and Pages) are up to date. Although it occasionally calls attention to differences in operating systems, it doesn't provide detailed instructions for using iCloud with older software.