Provides solid advice on all aspects of starting a business, from writing the business plan, to finding customers, to managing costs and turning a profit.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- CHAPTER 1: THERE’S NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT TO START YOUR BUSINESS
CHAPTER 2: GETTING INTO THE GAME: RESEARCHING YOUR OPTIONS
Weighing Your Options
- Buying an Existing Business
- Have You Looked at a Franchise?
- Network Marketing Businesses
- Work at Home and Make Big Money
- The Phenomenon of Online Selling
- Consider Industry Conditions and Your Future Goals
- Weighing Your Options
CHAPTER 3: MYSELF, INC.: DEVELOPING YOUR BUSINESS PLAN
- First, Determine Which Legal Entity to Use
- Writing the Sections of Your Plan
- This Document Is a Roadmap
CHAPTER 4: SETTING YOUR BUDGET AND GETTING FUNDING IN TOUGH TIMES
- Question #1: How Much Money Do You Need?
- Getting Money Without a Loan
- Getting Loans
- Do Not Let Money Stop You
CHAPTER 5: KEEPING SCORE: A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO ACCOUNTING BASICS
- Cash or Accrual?
- Profit-and-Loss (P&L) Statements
- Balance Sheets
- The Value of Understanding Finance Is Critical
CHAPTER 6: KNOWING THE MARKET AND HIRING THE BEST CUSTOMERS
- Defining Your Customer Base
- Differentiating Your Company
- Sending Messages to Customers
- When to “Fire” a Customer
- Can You Change Your Direction Midstream?
- Take Time to Find Good Customers
CHAPTER 7: SMART MARKETING: DON’T SPEND THOUSANDS TO MAKE HUNDREDS
- What Is the Value of Each Customer?
- Where Do You Begin with Marketing?
- Where Should a New Company Invest Its Early Marketing Dollars?
- The Goal Is a Return That Meets the Expense
CHAPTER 8: MAKING A PROFIT
- How Do You Set Your Prices?
- How Supply and Demand Affect Prices
- Find a Niche and Fill It
- Cutting Prices to Drive Volume: A Good Idea?
- Moving a Company from a Loss to a Profit
- Pricing Strategy for Consultants or Other Independents
- The Psychology of Pricing
- The Secret About Profits
CHAPTER 9: WHOSE MONEY IS IT, ANYWAY? KEEPING BUSINESS AND PERSONAL FINANCES SEPARATE
- Keeping Business and Personal Assets Separate
- Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due
- Getting the Money
- When Your Family Is Involved
- Build Your Assets and You Will Reap Rewards
CHAPTER 10: SECRETS FOR CONTINUING BUSINESS SUCCESS
- Don’t Create a Monster That You’re Not Prepared to Feed
- A Successful Business Is a Team Sport
- Even if You Didn’t Invent It, You Can Improve It
- Don’t Get So Deep into the Forest That You Can’t See the Trees
- Always Keep Two Sets of Books
- Keep Up Your Business Plan
- CHAPTER 11: EXIT...STAGE LEFT: PLANNING YOUR BUSINESS EXIT STRATEGY
- Keep an Eye on the Hot Trends
- The Secrets of Starting a Successful New Venture
- Watching a New Idea and a New Owner Catch Fire—Or Not
- Success Doesn’t Take Rocket Science
- Using Technical Skills to Start a Business
- Becoming a Consultant or Coach
- Business Ownership Does Not Work for Everyone
- The Joy of Having Your Own Business
- APPENDIX A: GLOSSARY OF BUSINESS AND ACCOUNTING TERMS
- APPENDIX B: SAMPLE BUSINESS PLAN