Understanding Integration Services
SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) makes up the Extraction, Transformation, and Loading (ETL) tool provided with SQL Server 2008. ETL operations include:
- Copying data from one server to another
- Merging data from multiple sources into a single data location
- Extracting information, modifying it, and then returning it to its original location
- Exporting data into different formats such as Excel, comma-separated values (CSV), and Oracle databases
- Importing data while transforming it in several possible ways
This list represents just a few possible ways in which SSIS may be used.
If you've used Data Transformation Services (DTS) in SQL Server 2000, SSIS is like the big brother of DTS. SSIS offers far more processing ...