Chapter 5. Using implicits to write expressive code
In this chapter
- Introduction to implicits
- Mechanics of the implicit resolution system
- Using implicits to enhance classes
- Using implicits to enforce scope rules
The implicit system in Scala allows the compiler to adjust code using a well-defined lookup mechanism. A programmer in Scala
can leave out information that the compiler will attempt to infer at compile time. The Scala compiler can infer one of two
- A method call or constructor with a missing parameter.
- Missing conversion from one type to another type. This also applies to method calls on an object that would require a conversion.
In both of these situations, the compiler follows a set of rules to resolve missing data ...