A2.1 Basic Definitions
• Matrix: a rectangular array of numbers arranged in rows and columns (the plural of matrix is matrices).
• Dimension of the matrix: the number of rows and columns of the matrix.
• Consider a matrix A that has dimension m × k. Let aij be the symbol for the number in the ith row and jth column of A. In general, we work with matrices of the form
• Vector: a (column) vector is a matrix containing only one column (k = 1).
• Row vector: a matrix containing only one row (m = 1).
• Transpose: transpose ...