You can record pop-music concerts in several ways. Listed below is a range of techniques from simple to elaborate. In general, sound quality improves as the recording setup becomes more complex:
- Record off the board (PA mixer) into a stereo recorder.
- Record with two mics into a stereo recorder. For example, use a handheld recorder with built-in mics.
- Record with a four-tracker: record with a stereo mic on tracks 1 and 2, while recording the PA mixer output on tracks 3 and 4. Mix the tracks later.
- Feed the PA mixer’s insert-send signals to a multitrack recorder. Edit and mix the recording back in your studio.
- Use a mic splitter on stage to feed the PA mixer, monitor mixer, and recording mixer. Record ...