This chapter explains how to do an on-location stereo recording of a classical music ensemble. We cover both equipment and procedures.
- Microphones (low-noise condenser or ribbon type, omni or directional, free field or boundary, stereo or matched pair).
- Multitrack recorder or stereo recorder. These were described in Chapter 1 in the sections “Multitrack Recording Systems” and “Stereo Recording Systems.”
- Low-noise mic preamps or low-noise mini mixer (necessary if the mic preamps in your recorder are low quality).
- Phantom-power supply (necessary if your mixer or mic preamp lacks phantom power).
- Stereo bar.
- Mic stands and booms, or fishing line to hang mics.
- Shock mount (optional).
- Mixer (necessary if you ...