Image courtesy of Peter Georges
By the end of this chapter you should:
- understand how radiometric quantities are defined;
- understand how bidirectional reflectance distribution functions (BRDFs) are defined;
- understand how a perfect diffuse BRDF is implemented;
- know what the rendering equation is;
- have seen a solution of the rendering equation;
- have been exposed to basic Monte Carlo concepts and processes.
I’ll discuss here the radiometric theory that underpins ray tracing. This will establish a firm theoretical foundation for the shading material in the following chapters. Please note that this ...