Chapter 17. Engines
This chapter covers
- The importance of engines for Rails 3
- Building a new engine and exploring the base
- Using behavior-driven development to develop an engine
- Releasing the engine as a gem
- Integrating an engine with an app
Engines are a new feature for Rails 3. They are effectively miniature applications that provide additional functionality to an application, and they function in
much the same way as an application.
1 Although in previous versions they were supported by a plugin written by the community: https://github.com/lazyatom/engines.
Back in chapter 6, you used the Devise gem, which itself is an engine. Other engines include the RailsAdmin and forem engines.