Installation and Setup Instructions
WHAT’S IN THIS APPENDIX?
- Installing and setting up a few popular NoSQL products
- Understanding the minor installation differences between platforms
- Compiling products from source, where applicable
- Configuring some of the NoSQL products
Software installation and setup instructions usually vary depending on the underlying operating system. Most instructions work on Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X. Instructions specific to installation and setup on Windows OS are included in a few select places. The installation instructions are not exhaustive.
Note that these instructions frequently refer to installing different software components in the /opt directory. By default, this directory is not usually writable by users other than root. If the directions refer to extracting archives or other operations in the /opt directory and it is not writable by the user extracting the archive, run the commands under the sudo(8) command or use the chmod(1) command to make the /opt directory writable.
INSTALLING AND SETTING UP HADOOP
This section contains the instructions for installing and configuring Hadoop Common, Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS), and Hadoop MapReduce.
The following software is required:
- Java 1.6.x — Hadoop is tested against the Sun (now Oracle) JDK.
- SSH and sshd — SSH must be installed and sshd must be running. Hadoop scripts use sshd to connect to remote Hadoop daemons.
Hadoop can be installed and run as a single-node or as a multi-node ...