In Production House Cinema: Starting and Running Your Own Cinematic Storytelling Business, renowned video storyteller Kurt Lancaster offers both students and professionals a practical guide to starting their own video production company and creating cinematic, client-based video content. Utilizing practical know-how along with in-depth analysis and interviews with successful independent production houses like Stillmotion and Zandrak, Lancaster follows the logistics and inspiration of creating production house cinema from the initial client pitch all the way through financing and distribution. The book includes:
- An examination of the cinematic and narrative style and how to create it;
- A discussion of the legal procedures and documents necessary for starting and operating a production house;
- Advice on crafting a portfolio, reel, and website that both demonstrates your unique style and vision and attracts clients;
- A guide to the financial business of running an independent production house, including invoicing, accounting, and taxes—and how much you should charge clients;
- Tips for how to better communicate with clients, and how to develop and shape a client’s story;
- A breakdown of how to select the right gear and equipment for a shoot, on budget;
- Cinematic case studies that offer detailed coverage of several short films made for clients.