9 DATA QUALITY RULES
In this chapter I introduce you to a key tool: data quality rules. I will show you:
- how to construct them;
- how to use them;
- where to use them;
- what a well-constructed data quality rule looks like.
INTRODUCING DATA QUALITY RULES
Data quality rules (DQRs) are central to PDMv2.
- They keep ownership firmly in the hands of the business (Golden Rule 1).
- They expose to the project the knowledge hidden in the business (Golden Rule 2).
- The process of deriving them ensures that the business addresses time and resource limitations (Golden Rule 3).
- They form a contract between the business and the technicians about what constitutes quality data and how to go about securing it (Golden Rule 4).
On a well-run data migration project, ...