Chapter 6. Understanding Git, the NetBeans Way
Commit early and commit often.
In this chapter, we will introduce the version control system, to manage the changes in our source code. To do this, we will learn to use Git, a free and open source-distributed version control system. We will use Git from NetBeans in a step-by-step manner. In particular, we will discuss the following issues:
- Version control system
- Distributed Version Control System (DVCS)
- Git—the fast and distributed version control system
- Initializing a Git repository
- Cloning a Git repository
- Staging files into a Git repository
- Committing changes to a Git repository
- Comparing file revisions, and reverting changes
- Working with remote repositories—fetching, pulling, and pushing
- Working with branches—creating, ...