On completion of this chapter you will be able to:
• explain the importance and meaning of leadership
• differentiate between leadership and management
• list the qualities of a good leader
• describe the difference between leadership and power
• describe Adair's ‘Action-centred’ functional approach to leadership
• describe a range of management styles
• define delegation
• differentiate between delegation, dumping, abdication and telling people what to do
• appreciate the difference between simple and complex delegation
• understand the benefits and risks of delegation
• explain how to delegate successfully.
The most important aspect of your job as a team leader is to work with ...