On completion of this chapter you will be able to:
• define the term ‘organization’
• differentiate between objectives and targets
• list and describe the various types of organization structure
• understand the uses and limitations of organization charts
• differentiate between tall and flat organizations
• describe the term ‘culture’
• differentiate between the formal and informal culture
• explain the types of culture described by Handy and Deal and Kennedy
• appreciate the complex nature of organizational roles
• identify contributing factors to role conflict
• understand what can be done to avoid role conflict and role stress.
In Chapter 1 we considered the job ...