More Complex Multiple-Channel Models
In many service businesses and manufacturing line applications, the basic M/M/s model, like the M/M/1 model discussed in chapter 4, does not always provide useful results that appear to agree with reality. In addition to the reasons listed at the beginning of chapter 4, there are added factors as a result of using more than one server:
- More complex formulas to deal with, particularly for situations with limited queues or limited calling populations
- The opportunity to separate customers into different classes
- The opportunity to treat customers with different priorities
- The effects of using different line configurations
- Server capability differences
Equations 3.1 through 3.5 for the basic M/M/s ...