Prepare Your Tax Returns
This week, you can
• Weigh doing taxes yourself, with a software program, or by hiring a professional
• See the pros and cons of tax prep software
• Know what you need to work with a tax professional
• Consider itemizing deductions
• Find where to get free tax help
AN ASSOCIATED PRESS POLL TELLS US that about six in ten Americans pay someone to help do their taxes. The rest of us manage it alone. Either way you go, the process needn’t be the numbers equivalent of a root canal.
Generally, you’ll have your main tax form—the 1040 or 1040EZ (for very simple filing)—mailed to you. They are also available online at www.irs.gov
and at your local tax office and library. If you decide to purchase tax-preparation software, ...