○ Create a variable
containing a list of words. Experiment with the operations described
in this chapter, including addition, multiplication, indexing,
slicing, and sorting.
○ Use the corpus module to explore
austen-persuasion.txt. How many word
tokens does this book have?
How many word types?
○ Use the Brown Corpus reader
nltk.corpus.brown.words() or the Web Text
nltk.corpus.webtext.words() to access some
sample text in two different genres.
○ Read in the texts of the State of the
Union addresses, using the
state_union corpus reader. Count
people in each document. What has happened
to the usage of these words over time?
○ Investigate the holonym-meronym relations for some nouns.
Remember that there are three kinds of holonym-meronym relation, so
you need to use
○ In the discussion of comparative wordlists, we created an
translate, which you could look up using words in both German
and Italian in order to get corresponding words in English. What
problem might arise with this approach? Can you suggest a way to
avoid this problem?
○ According to Strunk and White’s Elements of Style, the word however, used at the start of a sentence, means “in whatever way” or “to whatever extent,” and not “nevertheless.” They give this example of correct usage: However you advise him, he will probably do as he ...