Expansion and Gating
The most underutilized effect: hear what you are missing.
MIX SMART QUICK START : Expansion and Gating
- Practical motivations include noise reduction and leakage reduction.
- Fit tracks together in your mix more easily through cleverly reshaped amplitude envelopes and supportive gated reverbs and ambience tracks.
- Feature tracks by extracting exaggerated ambience and artifacts, manipulating timbre, and tremolo.
- Master the unusual set of parameters and features: threshold, slope, attack, release, fade, decay, hold, and range.
- As you learn compression/limiting, you get better at expansion/gating, and vice versa.
With expansion and gating, the concept of a compressor gets logically inverted. ...