The Database Engine is the core application service in the SQL Server package for storing, processing, and securing data with SQL Server 2008. The SQL Server 2008 Database Engine is a Windows service that can be used to store and process data in a relational format, as XML documents, and new for 2008, as spatial data. The following are the main responsibilities of the Database Engine:
• Provide reliable storage for data
• Provide a means to rapidly retrieve this data
• Provide consistent access to the data
• Control access to the data through security
• Enforce data integrity rules to ensure that the data is reliable and consistent.
Each of these responsibilities is examined in greater detail in later chapters ...