You can design the future!
In a post-apocalyptic alien landscape, starfighters crash land in desert terrain, dino riders rear up, rusted crab walkers litter the horizon and men work with--or fight against--giant iron robots. You control it all and Academy Award-winning sci-fi film production designer Doug Chiang tells you how. In this revised and updated version of his best-selling book, Mechanika, Chiang uses his 25 years in the film industry working on such films as the Star Wars franchise, Terminator 2: Judgment Day and War of the Worlds to teach you the techniques, tools and tips to draw and think like a master sci-fi artist.
Inside you'll find:
- The six keys to good design and how to build an expert toolkit.
- Basic sketching techniques and the rules of perspective--even in imaginary worlds.
- 25+ step-by-step demonstrations showing how to draw everything from monopods and labor beasts to aliens and steam-powered robots by mixing traditional drawing and marker techniques with digital painting technology.
- How to create compelling science fiction scenes inspired by movies, books, comics and games from conceptualization to completion.
- Tips and details on how to use Adobe Photoshop to design, draw and enhance your creations--including author secrets!
Learn design secrets from one of the sci-fi artists behind Star Wars
, War of the Worlds
and Terminator 2: Judgment Day