Chapter 7. Context-aware Calculations
In this chapter, we will cover:
- Identifying the number of columns and rows a query will return
- Identifying the axis with measures
- Identifying the axis without measures
- Adjusting the number of columns and rows for OWC and Excel
- Identifying the content of axes
- Calculating row numbers
- Calculating the bit-string for hierarchies on an axis
- Preserving empty rows
- Implementing utility dimension with context-aware calculations
Context-aware calculations are calculations relative to the result of an MDX query.
First, let's explain what the term "relative" means in this case.
Calculations can be relative to the set on an axis or a part of it. The rank on set, percentage in set, percentage of parent, average among siblings, ...