1. (a) Population: high school students. Sample: 2000 high school students. Statistic 47%. (c) Population: people living in the United States Parameter: 13.9%.
3. (a) Observational study. (b) No, we cannot establish causation. The participants were not randomized into the two groups. (c) No, we cannot generalize to all urban American adolescents.
1. = 12, m = 11.5. = 2.26, = 2.39. No, not the same.
3. (a) No. (b) No. (c) f is linear. (d) f is an increasing (or decreasing) function and n is odd.
5. (a) Favor: 1885; Oppose: 930. (b) The summary command indicates that there were many nonresponses. The table command does not give any indication that there were nonresponses.
(d) 80.4% of gun owners favor the death penalty, and 65.3% of non-gun owners favor the death penalty.
7. (a) True.
9. Hint: Show that the function is symmetric about θ: f(θ − x) = f(θ + x).
11. F−1 (y) = a so a and a are the desired quantiles. ...