Ferrous Materials and Their Heat Treatment
- Iron is the basic constituent of ferrous materials. It has the melting point of 1539°C and the specific gravity of 7.87.
- Pure iron is rarely found in nature. In pure state it lacks strength but its strength can be increased by alloying. Pure iron finds application in making magnets.
- Two important ores of iron are: haematite (Fe2O3) and magnetite (Fe3O4).
- Cast iron, steel and stainless steel are important ferrous materials.
- Iron contains various alloying elements, important among them includes carbon, manganese, chromium, nickel, molybdenum and vanadium.
- Ferrous materials have the maximum application in manufacturing industries on account of their better mechanical properties.
- Wrought iron ...
With Safari, you learn the way you learn best. Get unlimited access to videos, live online training,
learning paths, books, interactive tutorials, and more.