O'Reilly logo

Managerial Accounting 5th Edition by James Jiambalvo

Stay ahead with the world's most comprehensive technology and business learning platform.

With Safari, you learn the way you learn best. Get unlimited access to videos, live online training, learning paths, books, tutorials, and more.

Start Free Trial

No credit card required

image

Chapter 6

Cost Allocation and Activity-Based Costing

Learning Objectives

  1. Explain why indirect costs are allocated.
  2. Describe the cost allocation process.
  3. Discuss allocation of service department costs.
  4. Identify potential problems with cost allocation.
  5. Discuss activity-based costing (ABC) and cost drivers.
  6. Distinguish activity-based costing (ABC) from activity-based management (ABM).

image

McMaster Screen Technologies produces a variety of touch-screen displays used in phones, kiosks, automobile navigation devices, and numerous other applications.

Approximately 80 percent of the company's revenue comes from producing screens in large numbers for touch-screen phones and automobile navigation devices. The other 20 percent is related to low-volume orders for kiosks, custom electronic equipment, and military applications.

In recent months, Michael Soma, the CFO at McMaster, has become concerned about the apparent profitability of several products. In particular, some high-volume products, such as the Model ND32 touch screen used in automobile navigation systems, are barely breaking even, while low-volume products, such as the Model MK420 touch screen used in a military targeting device, are selling for much more than the cost of production. This surprised Michael because the company ...

With Safari, you learn the way you learn best. Get unlimited access to videos, live online training, learning paths, books, interactive tutorials, and more.

Start Free Trial

No credit card required