Time and effort that you have to spend troubleshooting problems is time and effort you don’t have available to accomplish what you want to accomplish. To minimize the time you have to spend solving problems, you should take specific steps to maintain your Mac. In this chapter, I describe the following preventive maintenance chores:
• Maintaining your system software
• Maintaining your hard disks
• Maintaining alternative startup volumes and discs
• Building and maintaining a Mac toolkit
• Maintaining your applications
Maintaining your Mac in good condition with these tasks isn’t terribly difficult, and the effort you do put in pays off in having to spend less time and effort solving problems.