The Windows operating system has grown from humble beginnings and evolved into one of the world’s most pervasive operating system for servers and clients. This chapter covers the basic components of a Windows server audit and includes a quick audit for Windows clients.
We will discuss the following:
• A brief history of Windows development
• Windows essentials: learning about the target host
• How to audit Windows servers
• How to audit Windows clients
• Tools and resources for enhancing your Windows audits
Microsoft and IBM worked jointly to develop OS/2 in the early 1990s, but the relationship turned sour. Microsoft and IBM split up and went separate directions, with Microsoft later releasing ...