Using Handy Utilities
Get ready to . . .
⇒ Use the Calculator
⇒ Find Your Way with Compass
⇒ Record Voice Memos
⇒ Trim a Voice Memo
⇒ Rename a Voice Memo
⇒ Share a Voice Memo
Utilities are simple apps that can be very useful indeed to help with common tasks such as calculating your meal tip or finding your way on a hike in the woods.
In this chapter, I help you explore two apps from the Utilities folder, Calculator to keep your numbers in line and Compass to help you find your way, as well as the Voice Memos app on the Home screen so you can record your best ideas for posterity. (Note that the third app in the Utilities folder, Contacts, is covered in Chapter 5).
Use the Calculator
1. This one won’t be rocket science. The Calculator app works just about like every calculator app you’ve ever used. Go to the second Home screen and locate the Utilities folder.
2. Tap the Utilities folder to display the contents shown in Figure 6-1.
3. Tap the Calculator icon. The Calculator app appears.
4. Tap a few numbers (see Figure 6-2) and then use any of these functions and additional numbers to perform calculations:
• +, –, x, and ÷: These familiar buttons add, subtract, multiply, and divide the number you’ve entered.
• +/–: If the calculator is displaying a negative result, tap this to change it to a positive result, and vice versa.
• AC/C: This is the clear button; its name will change depending on whether you’ve entered one item or several (AC clears all; C clears just ...